Monday, July 30, 2012

I'm a mom?!

Yesterday, after work, I ventured to Barnes and Nobles to buy a book for Charmaine's baby shower. I first stopped by the coffee shop to purchase a skinny caramel macchiato while I talked to Aaron on the phone. After a nice conversation with him and my coffee in tow I moseyed back to the children's section. The back corner of the store is dedicated solely to children's literature. There is a little play area, a reading nook and an information desk in the center of the section. I first browsed through the Dr. Seuss books because he speaks from the heart, but I was unable to pick something so I headed to the area behind the information desk. Behind the desk is where the classics are stored. The books that were from my childhood era. I looked at The Lorax and then I found the winning book, The Giving Tree. While I was perusing the books, there was an older woman asking the woman at the desk to look up a book. She was quite demanding and a little confused. She was checking if the paperback book she was holding came in a hard cover option.

She said, "It is for a three year old and the paperback will not survive." I naturally smiled and shook my head because after working with children, I know that that is the truth. She then proceeded to say, "This young mother understands." Pointing at me.

OKAY! I know I look older... but I don't think I look like a mom! I was wearing jeans and a workout shirt with nikes. My hair was in a messy bun and I was sporting minimal makeup. I responded with a warm smile and a head nod. Then I returned to browsing The Giving Tree.

She immediately noticed what I was looking at and scurried over to me and gushed, "Is that The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstien?!"

"Yes it is."

"Oh my goodness! I love that story. How old is your little one?"

And then I was stuck. I either had to commit or admit that I didn't have a child and apologize for leading her on so I blurted, "Two! I had this book when I was a girl and I thought my little nugget would like it..."

"That is perfect! I have a three year old niece and this would be a great book for her!" She then immediately turned to the sales clerk serving her and said I will take this, holding up The Giving Tree. "Forget about the other book I requested." Turning back to me she said  with a smile, "Thanks for your help! Good luck with your little one!"

At that moment I immediately turned around and headed straight for the register to checkout. I guess I am a mom now...


I kinda know what it feels like to be pregnant...
And I did have a mechanical baby for five days.

Me at the age that my supposed child would is.

From the ever so excited mother,
Alli





No comments:

Post a Comment