Saturday, January 26, 2013

A New Me


Change can be gradual and change can be immediate. Change can be hard and change can be easy. But the one thing that I know about change is that it is in God's will and that I learn from every second of it. These past 5 years have been filled with change and (I never thought that I would say this, but...) I am very thankful for it.

There has been financial, geographical, relational and family, emotional, and physical changes. My physical change is one of the most predominant changes that outsiders can see.

I have always been overweight according to the doctors standards. Growing up I was the "plus sized" girl. One time one of my friend's mothers took us shopping and on our way to Old Navy the mother asked me, "Alli, do they cary your size here? I know that when people are your size it can be a bit difficult." Seriously?! At that time I was a frustrated 7th grader who was already struggling with identity and body image issues, why did she have to focus on my body shape. So my summer before sophomore year I decided that I wanted to embark on a journey of creating a healthier lifestyle.

On August 12th of 2009 I stepped on a scale and snagged my starting weight for this weight loss journey. My weight was at the highest it had ever been, 212.7 lbs. I was a 5' 9" girl with a BMI of 31.5 (very overweight). I started my new lifestyle with just changing the food that I was consuming. My goal was to loose between .5-2 lbs a week until I reached 175 lbs.

The journey was slow and frustrating at times, but it was also exciting and rewarding too. I remember one time, I was about 6 months into my weightless pursuit, I was in the grocery store picking up some grubb and I ran into a man who worked with my father. I called out his name and he just looked my me with a puzzled face so I introduced myself. He was in shock of my body transformation and asked how I did it. It was the best feeling knowing that my transformation was making process.

It has almost been 4 years sense I have shed the weight and I am now around 178 lbs, and BMI of 26.5. (still overweight but only by 1lb). I have a new sense of, not only confidence, but health. I am able to do so much more now! I am not 100% okay with my body, but I am getting there. If I can do it you can too!


Grace and Peace,
All-i Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment