Friday, July 19, 2013

A Gift to My Campers


In less than one month I will be heading with 100 students to summer camp where they will hopefully encounter Jesus in a life changing way. I will be in charge of cutivating spiritual growth for my 15 campers who will be staying in my cabin. I have been praying for them for multipule things; that they will be comfortable at Mazama, that they will find someone to bond with, that I can connect with them, and ultimately that Jesus will rock them and become part of their lives.

I was racking my mind for somehting that I can give each one of them on the first night that they are their so that they know that I care for them and that I am there for them. I searched far and wide for ideas on pinterest and other blogs and then I finally decided that I would make something on my own and then share it with you all.

This is what I came up with...
A glittered notebook that the girls can record their experiences in, and stone hearts showing that Jesus cares for all of their hearts. On the first page of their journals, I wrote them a heartfelt note explaining my heart for the week. 

So here we go, this was the process of painting, glittering, sculpting, baking and gluing. 

First, I created the the hearts. 
I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and mixed up in a bowl: 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, and some cold water. 
I mixed it into a dough ball and then grabbed my cutting board and heart stencil.
Then I flattened some dough with a spatula and placed my template on
the dough.
I then used a tooth pick and knife to cutout the heart shape. 
After cutting several of these hearts I placed them about a 1/4 inch on a baking sheet covered with tin foil.
 Then I placed them in the oven for 2 hours.
After 2 hours I removed them and painted them gray to look like stones.


Now, for the notebooks. 
I bought 15 70 page, college rule, notebooks from Walmart for $0.17 each! Then I gathered my supplies.
  • The Notebooks
  • Paper Towl
  • Paint Brushes
  • Paper Plates
  • Paint
  • Newspaper
  • Mod Podge 
  • Glitter



I painted 2-3 coats of color on each notebook and let them dry for an hour.
After drying I painted a coat of Mod Podge on a corner, while using a piece of paper as a guide. Then I scattered different colors of glitter on each book, and let it dry.
Then finished the glitter with a sealant of Mod Podge.
 Then, after drying for another hour I coated the whole cover with Mod Podge and let it dry.
This is the finished product.
This is the letter that I wrote on each one of the first pages. 

I hope that this helped some of you with ideas of what to give with your campers.

Grace & Peace,


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment